< Back
You are here:

Managing Drivers

Do your employees or volunteers use their own, borrowed or leased vehicles for your charity activities?

As an employer, you are responsible for:

  • Ensuring, so far as is reasonably practicable, the health and safety of all employees while at work … and that includes whilst driving
  • Ensuring that others are not put at risk by your work-related driving activities
  • Managing health and safety effectively … this includes carrying out an assessment of the risks to the health and safety of your employees and volunteers, while they are at work on your behalf, and to other people who may be affected by their work activities

Self-employed people have a similar responsibility to that of employers. You can be held liable as an employer:

  • Under Health and Safety legislation
  • Under road traffic law e.g. the Road Traffic Act and Road Vehicle (Construction and Use) Regulations
  • Health and safety law also applies to commuting if the employees or volunteers are travelling from their home to a location which is not their usual place of work. In general, driver health and safety is a shared responsibility between the driver and the employer.

Hot Tips

Check and Record:

  • Who is authorised to drive on your behalf
  • Qualification, experience and fitness to drive
  • Appropriate CRB enquiries
  • Vehicle roadworthiness – Tax, MOT, Road Fund Licence and Service Records
  • Insurance – including use for business / volunteer driver work
  • Licence Endorsements and disqualification from driving

Keep records!

Evaluate whether those that drive at work require additional training to carry out their duties safely and in your best interests.

Communicate policy on:

  • Work for hire or reward, and only charging reasonable actual expense to the public
  • Vehicle roadworthiness
  • Vehicles capable of carrying more than 8 passengers or modified in any way
  • Safety when providing transport services … for drivers and passengers
  • Accident and Endorsement reporting procedures
  • Safe journey planning and safety following breakdown of the vehicle
  • Use of mobile equipment
  • Driving under the influence of medication, drugs, alcohol or fatigue
  • Health and Safety and Road Traffic legislation and best practice

Don’t forget…

  • Who is responsible for payment of the Insurance policy Excess?
  • Who may suffer a loss of No Claim Bonus?

Do you use any ‘owned’ vehicles or provide transport services?

Seek specialist Fleet Management advice. You can contact CaSE Insurance to discuss this.

Is something wrong, missing or needs updating? Let us know.

Except where otherwise noted, CaSE Insurance licenses the content in the Risk & Insurance Library under the Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International licence. All content in the Risk & Insurance Library is intended purely as introductory information on the subject matter, and does not provide you with information on risk management or insurance or advice (whether legal or financial) on which you should rely. You should always seek professional advice specific to your requirements.